This recipe came from a Junior League Cookbook from Louisiana--published in the seventies--cookbook entitled "Talk About Good" similar to a Nanaimo bar--BUT...Better!!!
Nancy's Prayer Bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nutmeats (pecan,walnut etc.)
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons dry vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (9 3/4 ounce) Hershey chocolate candy bars ( I have used a 10.2 ounce bar-and that works well)
For the first layer:.
- Melt butter and cocoa together over hot water(double boiler) or in a saucepan over very low heat.
- Add powdered sugar, egg and vanilla;continue to cook for a minute or two longer over low heat.
- Set aside.
- Mix nuts,crumbs and coconut if desired and add to first mixture.
- Mix well and press into a 13x9 pan.
- Chill for about 30 minutes.
For the second layer:.
- Melt butter, cream and vanilla.
- Add pudding mix and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add powdered sugar.
- Blend and spread over first layer.
For the third layer:.
- Melt Hershey's Chocolate Bar and spread carefully over the top.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Bring to room temperature before cutting into 2 inch squares*this helps to prevent crumbling.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.Makes approx 60 bars.
- *****Cook time is actually chilling time****.